How Are You Vs. How Are You Doing? Use the Phrases correctly.
We use several phrases in our daily life. But few phrases confuse users while composing an email or in daily conversation. In this article, you can learn the differences between the phrases ”how are you vs how are you doing?”
“How Are You” Vs “How Are You Doing?”
How Are You?
It is a commonly used phrase in formal and informal tones which is used to inquire about someone’s health, mood, and wellbeing.
It can also used to greet someone in the English language when you meet someone special for the first time.
- How are you?
- How are you? It’s been a long time since your marriage.
How Are You Doing?
It is an informal way of greeting and inquiring about a person’s health, mood, and well-being. You can use this phrase to check the progress of an assigned task.
- How are you doing with this project?
- Congratulations on your results! How are you doing?
- I heard your mother got sick. How is she doing now?
Differences Between “How Are You?” & “How Are You Doing?”
Sometimes, you can interchange the phrases for inquiring about a person’s health condition and as an informal greeting.
Let’s have a few examples-
- “How are you?” – You can try using this phrase at the beginning of a formal email. But avoid using “How are you doing?” phrases as a greeting.
- “How are you doing?” is a question that helps you understand a person’s psychological well-being. The “How are you?” can be used in this situation.
- “How are you doing?” is also used to know the progress status of a task. Avoid using “How are you?” in this type of scenario.
Which Is Professional: Either How Are You? vs How Are You Doing?
If you are wondering which phrase is used for professional correspondence, here is your answer.
For business correspondence, both phrases are good. But “How are you?” comes under the formal tone of greetings. You can use the phrases to greet anonymous persons since it is a polite gesture.
Alternatives Phrases For “How Are You Doing?” And “How Are You?” In Email
You can also avoid using these phrases because we have plenty of alternative ways of greeting the clients politely and formally.
- “I hope you are doing great.”
- “I hope everything is fine with you.”
- “I hope you are happy with your new position.”
- “I hope you enjoyed last night’s party.”
- “I hope you had a great time.”
- “I hope your project is going well.”
- “I hope you are making good progress with your coding project.”
Ways Of Answering “How Are You?” In Any Conversation
The response to any greeting should be polite. Never give a negative answer to this type of greeting.
The simple way to reply to this question is
- I’m good, thanks. How are you?
- I’m fine, thank you. How about you?
- Very well, thank you. How are you?
- Could be better. And you?
Ways Of Answering “How Are You Doing?” In Any Conversation
The simple way to respond to this type of greeting is
- “I’m fine, thank you. How about you?”
- “I’m doing great, thank you. How about you?”
In this article, you have gained enough knowledge on how to differentiate between “How are you?” and “How are you doing?”. To improve yourself better, spend your valuable time watching movies, English websites, speeches, and workshops of native speakers.
If you don’t have time to focus on learning, you can contact top content providers for highly optimized SEO content. If you are interested, try contacting candid.net, you will complete the details on their website.